Friday, March 26, 2010

"The only way to succeed is to be remarkable, to be talked about. But when it comes to a person, what do we talk about? People are not products with features, benefits, and viral marketing campaigns; they are individuals. If we’re going to talk about them, we’re going to discuss what they do, not who they are."

- Seth Godin

I'm about half way through Seth's amazing new book, Linchpin, and I don't want it to end. I feel have my own theories about work, I call it "the Mary Poppins" theory, but that's for another post at another time.


Godin challenges each of us to become Linchpins, indispensable and remarkable artists who bring something special to the job.  Can there be a Linchpin at Avon? Absolutely. I'm sure there are several. Are there Linchpin representatives? Without a doubt.


I'm sure you're fine with learning how to be 'remarkable', but how does becoming an artist make you feel? You don't have to pick up paints or a soldering iron to be an artist -- you just have to do something remarkable and give it away. Terrific customer service? That's an artist. The ability to help a customer find the right product? That's being an artist.

Without giving too much away, I urge you to pick up the book or the audiobook (read by Godin) for the full, thought-provoking experience. I got my copy at the library, but I will be purchasing my own copy for my permanent library.

No comments:

Post a Comment