Monday, April 5, 2010

Financial Site: Shoeboxed.com

Last week I was interviewed by Ryan at Outright.com about how I was using their spectacular site. I told him that I was so impressed how easy Outright was to use, and how a non-financial person like me could even understand it.

Ryan asked if there were any features that I'd like to see and I commented that I would like to be able to scan my receipts (ala Neat Receipts) and have those receipts auto-imported into Outright.

"Have you tried our partner site, Shoeboxed? With Shoeboxed, you can do just that; scan your receipts and have them imported directly into Outright."  I was beyond stoked.

Last night I registered an account with Shoeboxed, scanned some receipts and started playing around. With the free account, Shoeboxed does not auto-scan and OCR your receipts; you still have to manually import the data from the receipt into Showboxed. However, one thing I DO like about this is that the format to input the data is more like a form and less like a traditional ledger. For me, that makes it much easier to see and understand.

The instructions on how to sync Shoeboxed and Outright were a little confusing; the link was a little hidden. I had to take several trips to the "help" screens to figure it out. However, once I got it configured, magic happened.

All of my receipts were then synced with Outright's site, all of the details were ported over, and best of all, there was a link to see the original scan of the receipt. Way. Freakin. Cool.

To be fair to Shoeboxed, there is a service that ranges from $10-$50 a month that allows you to mail in your receipts. Shoeboxed with scan your receipts and I believe they will attempt to populate all of the fields including date, store, amounts, and even the credit card used for purchase. I'm not sure that I generate enough receipts yet, but I can see that being a valuable upgrade.

Final report? Shoeboxed is awesome. Marry it to Outright, and you have some downright spectacular tools. This is going to make tax time next year so much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment