Thursday, April 1, 2010

It's Always Something

"I had to take the kids to softball practice." "I needed to work late." "I was too tired when I got home from work." "I needed to take the dog to the groomer." "My nose was running." "I had tickets to a show."

These are all really great excuses why you can't go to work. If you were employed by someone else, it's their loss. Their employee doesn't show up for the day, and you get to enjoy your time off. However, when you're working for yourself, if you don't "show up", then your marketing department, your sales department, your financial department, your customer service representatives and your merchandising departments are all off for the day as well.

Roseanne Roseannadanna was one of my favorite Gilda Radner characters. Roseanna always had some kind of other-worldly experience going on in her world, but in the end, she always persevered. "It's always something. If it's not one thing, it's another." Either your dog needs a haircut or little Jimmy won't hit the whiffle ball.

Yes, it's always something -- but if you're serious about your business, what can you do to make your business a priority? What are you willing to do to become successful? What are you reasons for owning a business instead of working for someone else? Money? Freedom? Flexibility?

No comments:

Post a Comment